Thursday, July 18, 2013

What is action research?



This week I learned a lot about action research.  Action research is basically focusing on the problems on their campus and finding ways to fix the problem.  I learned that it varies greatly from traditional research in the fact that the stake holder is the one conducting the inquiry.  It seems as though it is a much more meaningful way to grow and make a meaningful change to a campus, classroom or administration.  I understand that the process involves a few steps in which  you first identify an issue, you then come up with an action to solve the problematic situation, next you implement your new strategies and evaluate whether or not they were effective, and lastly clarify the outcome in order to make a change.  With all of these factors combined a good administrator can really evaluate a multitude of issues or problems that are prevalent in schools today.   I understand that administrators are busy and often do not have the time for inquiry unless they take the time to make it part of their regular schedule.  I also think it is a great way to reflect on the strengths and weaknesses on a campus and work together to find ways to improve.  I am really excited to embark on this journey of action research because I think it will help me grow immensely and really get me ready to become an administrator.

2 comments:

  1. Andrea,

    I didn't mention traditional research in my post, but I really like how you defined by negation in your explanation by mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you hit the nail on the head!! I think by us doing our own action research will not only open our eyes, but if we do it right, it can help open doors for other staff members and our students! The more I got to thinking about this project the more I came to realize that not only will it help me in understanding but just may solve some problems in my school that may or may not have been touched otherwise. Look forward to taking this journey with you!!

    ReplyDelete